Book Review - Falling Apart

Falling ApartFalling Apart by Jane Lovering
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Like several other reviewers, I couldn't quite imagine how Falling Apart would live up to the promise of Vampire State of Mind. So Jess and Sil are fabulous characters, but hey, once you've saved the world from demons the first time, then anything else starts to look a bit tame in comparison. Shoes and paperclips are all very well, but they just don't set the heart beating in quite the same way as magic and mayhem.
However, Falling Apart has all the magic and mayhem a girl could wish for. From the start, it's obvious to the reader that there's a good reason for Sil's bad behaviour (and I don't just mean the flirting with anything in skirts variety, more the dangerous blood-letting sort), but it's equally clear why Jess assumes the worst of him. There's high drama both in the relationship stakes and on the streets of York, and Jane even manages to sneak in the odd political point (I think, although that may have been an accident) in the form of the highly comic scenes involving unionised zombies (yes, really!).
Like Vampire State of Mind, this is a highly enjoyable romp through the streets of an alternative York (with a brief but significant excursion to Whitby). It also made me cry. In a good way.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I love my publisher.

Halloween Blog Hop

Writer Wednesday Interview: Angela Wren