Yorkshire Romance

After a break from blogging over the summer, it's nice to return with some good news.  And what news! 

My story 'Top of the World' won first place in the Yorkshire Ridings magazine romance story competition.  From the moment they announced the competition, I felt it was made for me - I live in Yorkshire, love Yorkshire, and read and write romance - but I still didn't quite dare to hope for the winning place.  I'd have been happy to be shortlisted and have my story featured in their beautiful, glossy magazine.  I'm told the winning stories will appear on their website, though as I write this I can only see the winners of 2010's ghost story competition, so to read my story you'll have to buy the magazine.  It's available on the shelves in WHSmiths in Yorkshire, and on subscription through the website (at the time of writing, it's a bargain at £10 for 12 shiny, fun-packed issues). 

My story is set in one of my favourite spots in Yorkshire, the Chevin country park, pictured here. Oddly enough, it's the same location which inspired another winning story, 'Hide and Seek'.  'Hide and Seek' was about a girl adjusting to her new step family, while 'Top of the World' features a couple who've been together seven years, just to prove that romance doesn't have to be all about boy meets girl (at least not for the first time).  I loved writing it, and am very grateful for the help that Doncaster Writers' Group gave me in tweaking the closing lines. 

I hope you enjoy the story, if you get a chance to read it, and I'm looking forward to reading Lorraine Mace's book, 'The Writer's ABC Checklist', which is part of the prize. 

A big thank you to Lorraine, and to the lovely people at Yorkshire Ridings Magazine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I love my publisher.

Halloween Blog Hop

Writer Wednesday Interview: Angela Wren