Remember, remember the fifth of November

Yesterday I was waiting at the traffic lights, and as I watched and waited for the lights to turn green, an unexpected flash of colour in the night sky caught my eye. Right in front of me, a huge firework exploded in a shower of ruby sparks. Beautiful! I love going to watch organised firework displays, but sometimes it’s even more magical when you’re faced with a starburst completely out of the blue (or black).



I love fireworks so much that I chose to set the grand finale of ‘Desperate Bid’ at a firework party. Here are a few tasters to get you in the mood for bonfire night…


Like a firework itself, the tiny spark of their idea had caught a fuse, travelled through the dark city, and sent a shower of fizzing, cracking light bursting outwards through hundreds of lives.

Tonight it was alive and electric. The air sang with voices and music from stalls and car radios. The hiss of sparklers and burgers grilling added to the fizzing atmosphere. Alex was exhausted, but he loved every second of his exhaustion.

Crimson stars exploded like dying red giants into showers of tiny white sparks. Pink fizz rained like champagne being opened, an endless flood of celebration. Circles of white lights danced in the sky and turned into a cascade of green.

Enjoy the fireworks tonight. Be safe. And if you have time, do take a moment to share your favourite firework memories. Mine include New Year fireworks over the lake at Disney World, and the Millennium fireworks watched from an attic window in Leeds. My firework ambition is to see the New Year fireworks over Sydney Harbour. What’s yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I love my publisher.

Halloween Blog Hop

Writer Wednesday Interview: Angela Wren