Book Review: The Scandalous Duchess

The Scandalous DuchessThe Scandalous Duchess by Anne O'Brien
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't tend to think of myself as a fan of historical fiction, but lately every time I pick up a historical read, I love the escapism and the intensity of the story. Anne O'Brien's 'The Scandalous Duchess' is no exception. Lady Katherine is a fabulously strong, scrupulous heroine, so it's surprising to find her lured into an ongoing affair with the powerful, seductive Duke of Lancaster. More surprising still are the twists and turns in their longstanding relationship. I loved the historical detail and most of all the sense of a very private love constantly challenged by public standards and scrutiny. Still very much relevant today.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer Wednesday Interview: Angela Wren

Why I love my publisher.

Writer Wednesday: Rachel Brimble