Squidoo Reading Meme

Thanks to Maureen Wood, I just discovered squidoo's Reading Meme.  A chance to chat about books and reading?  How could I resist?  There are some really interesting questions for bloggers and others to answer.  If you'd like to play, just visit the site here and grab a copy.

What have you just read?
Carol Marinelli's 'Banished to the Harem', one of Mills and Boon's more dramatic sheik stories, as the heroine nearly becomes part of the hero's harem!  Although it's loaded with stereotypes, I was fascinated by the interplay of the two cultures. 

What are you reading now?

I've just started P.D.James' 'Death Comes to Pemberley'.  I love the concept of bringing together crime and high romance, and since I enjoyed 'Pride and Prejudice with Zombies', I think I'll have fun with this one too.

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?
I have a fairly extensive to-read pile, both physical and on my Kindle.  Lizzie Lamb's 'Tall, Dark and Kilted' is high on my e-list, as are several of Victoria Connolly's stories. 

What's the worst thing you were ever forced to read?
I don't know about the worst, but I absolutely hated 'Finnegan's Wake'.  I'm sure as Joyce wrote it he was laughing at the thought of the generations of literature students he was torturing. 


What's one book you always recommend to just about anyone?
I don't think there is one, as I usually try to tailor my recommendations to the person I'm talking to.  The book I've probably recommended most often is Louise Bagshawe's 'The Movie' - one for anyone who enjoys films, glamour, romance and writing - and, let's face it, that's an awful lot of readers!

Admit it, sadly the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don't they?
I'm not sure, but they certainly know my face, because the library hosts our local writers' group, so I visit at least twice a month. 


Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don't like it at all?
Not one specifically, but I often mention brilliant books only to get the response, 'I don't read romance/crime/fantasy.'  I'd like to think I wouldn't write off a book on the basis of its genre, but I'm sure someone will tell me that I have.   I used to avoid historical romances, but I'm more enlightened nowadays!

Do you read books while you eat?
Yes, a lot more often than I should.  But never if they're borrowed books, only if I own them. 

While you bathe?
Likewise.

While you watch movies or tv?
No.  I get really confused if I try to read and watch TV at the same time.  I do occasionally read in front of the football if it's on, but I don't think you can call it 'watching' the TV, just 'sitting in the same room'. 

While you listen to music?
Yes, but usually only instrumental music.  Again, stuff with words confuses me if I try to read at the same time.  

While you're on the computer?
Not while I'm actually using it, but while I'm waiting for it to boot up or shut down. 

When you were little did other children tease you about your reading habits?
No, but the librarians did.  During school holidays, I used to go in almost every day and come back with an armful of books, and they'd never believe I'd really read them. 

What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn't put it down?
I don't do that as often as I used to, but the last book I found really unputdownable was Guy Gavriel Kay's 'Under Heaven'.  He is such a talented writer, and another one who I recommend to a lot of people.  I'd like to go back and re-read some of his earlier books one day, especially 'Song for Arbonne' and 'Sailing to Sarantium.'

Have any books made you cry?
Loads.  I've always got weepy over a good story.  The first time I can remember doing it was over 'Little Women', and after that I started losing track because I did it so often.  I cry at films and musicals, too, especially 'Les Miserables'! 



I'd Like to Recommend... 

The Hunger Games trilogy - if there's anyone out there who still hasn't read it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I love my publisher.

Halloween Blog Hop

Writer Wednesday Interview: Angela Wren