Book Review: Don't Tell the Groom

Don't Tell the GroomDon't Tell the Groom by Anna Bell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I read the blurb for 'Don't Tell the Groom', I found it hard to believe that I would sympathise with the heroine, Penny. What kind of a person gambles away her wedding fund, then instead of coming clean, decides to organise the wedding on a shoestring budget, all the while piling lies upon untruths to her husband-to-be? The answer, according to Anna Bell, is a confused, well-meaning and very endearing one!
It's easy to see how one thing leads to another for Penny, and there is never an easy moment when she could turn round and say, 'Well, actually...' So she forges ahead with her plan, and discovers hitherto untapped reserves of creativity and compassion. I usually wince when promised 'hilarious results', but in this case I did find myself laughing out loud at some of Penny's antics, as well as choking up at some of the more emotional moments. Although some of the comedy is a little predictable, 'Don't Tell the Groom' is a sweet, funny and thoroughly enjoyable read.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I love my publisher.

Halloween Blog Hop

Writer Wednesday Interview: Angela Wren